Our Portugal Trip-Lisbon

Our Portugal Trip-Lisbon
Kristin, Lynsey, Alli, and I in Lisbon, Portugal

Friday, January 15, 2010

First Day of School!

January 15, 2010

On Tuesday we had our first day of classes…really liked all of my teachers, especially my grammar teacher, Raquel-she’s really fun and makes the class interesting. She also comes up with unique ways of remembering the rules. Till March, I have Grammar, Oral Expression, Geography, Art, Culture, and Literature.

Later on that day after class, a group of us went out to buy cell phones. I had borrowed a cell phone from a past student but because the sims card was over a year old I needed to buy a new card or phone. With the originally company, Vodafone…a new sims card would have cost me 24 euro! So I decided to just buy a new cell phone with the company, Orange. Buying the phone was a little difficult…when the lady was talking to me about a plan for my phone it was hard to understand her and she talked so fast…I would have got it eventually but good thing Kara was there to help me out and make everything clear for me and I was able to get my phone. They wouldn’t accept a credit card so I paid in euro and then I also had to show them my passport and tell them where I was staying in the city. It was a little frustrating but at least I now have a phone to use while I’m here.

Later that night, we went to a café in the Plaza Mayor called Banoque or something similar to it. I ordered cola cao (hot chocolate) and churros and another type of churro thing but it was huge and tasted like pancakes to me. It was soooo good and pretty cheap, only 3 euro…or maybe 2.50 euro…can’t remember. I was so glad to finally try this though! This past summer I was watching the travel channel and they had a show with Madrid and the host had the same food that I got. Her cola cao was so thick that she was able to place a spoon on top of the drink and it wouldn’t sink…it’s basically a melted chocolate bar. So far that’s the only sweet I’ve had while in Valladolid otherwise I have been eating pretty healthy…more fruits and vegetables…for desert I have either a mandarian, orange, apple, or banana. Their apples are larger here and we always have yellow apples..they’re also very sweet..the other night I had an apple tart and a restaurant that was really good. Their bananas are also different, they’re smaller and more dense than in the US…but still very good.

No comments: