January 15, 2010
The weather in Spain right now is like a lot like Wisconsin in the spring…cool weather…rainy….VERY rainy. On Wednesday, it started off being a dreary day with a little bit of rain. The past Tuesday, it was also really rainy but something else happened…our bus broke down! Kaitlyn and I were suppose to take the bus from school to a Plaza where there is a fruit market and then to take another bus from the fruit market to Zorilla Street and walk a little ways then to our house. We were able take the bus but after the first stop, the bus driver was having a very hard time starting the bus again and
this continued to happen at every single stop. Once, we where in a 2-way street and it was taking the driver a very very long time to start back up the bus. Behind us, was a line of cars 10 and more! Eventually, we got to the fruit market but by that time we were sick of being on a crowded bus so we decided to walk home from there. The area was a little different but I noticed some familiar items our tour guide had pointed out from the day before and we eventually found our way back to the plaza mayor and from there to the plaza zorilla and home. It was quite funny that it was our first day taking the bus from school and we didn’t have Belen or really anybody to help us out. It was lightly raining but it wasn’t so bad…the next day however was like a monsoon!
It all started after school when we were heading home…it was raining a little bit but I had my umbrella with me so that was good. Once we got to the house it stopped for a little but when went back outside…it was pouring! I didn’t really have rain boots but I was wearing my shoes that I use for walking outside in the snow in WI so those worked ok. When we met up with Kara, Kristin, Eric and Adam S.-neither of them had an umbrella nor their hoods up and Adam was just wearing a sweatshirt, how ridiculous!
Before we came here we were told that it wasn’t normal to wear hoods up, but obviously with weather like that, there’s an exception…at that moment I saw a local with HIS hood up and said, “Mira!” which means “Look!” at Adam so that he would see that it was obviously ok to put up your hood for this weather. It’s obvious that we’re not from around here….a lot of people that look at us think we’re from Ingleterra or England, nothing else we do will be a big deal. So we walked around in the pouring rain for four hours…also stopped at the same café as the night before for more chocolate and churros and I had to go to a bookstore to buy a book for my grammar class. My pants were soaked and they were new so the blue dye got on my white socks (I had washed them before this trip to avoid that problem), and when we were heading back and near home my shoes were starting to get soaked too!
No comments:
Post a Comment